The Hellenic Railways Organization is the Rail Infrastructure Manager in the Greek territory. It manages, maintains, operates, modernizes and expands a railway network extending over 2,200 km all over the country.
The Organization’s operation aims at two main targets:
- Optimizing all types of passenger railway services in order to benefit the passenger public and make the Railway the citizen’s top mode of transport
- Developing freight connections in order to reinforce the Greek economy by improving the transit load and trans-European transport
Its main action lines foresee:
- Modernizing railway infrastructure and building facilities
- Expanding the active network and mainly the interconnection with neighbouring countries, as well as the Greek ports and VIPE (Industrial Areas), in order to enhance freight transport
- Smooth cooperation with railway companies in order to serve the railway transports’ safety, consistency, speed and comfort
- Improving the railway market’s operation in order to serve competition and attract investors
- Further utilization of the railways’ property in order to increase the Organization’s income and reduce its dependence on State aid
- Developing modern digital structures and actions in order to modernize infrastructures and limit expenses
- Railway transport interoperability with the European railways, in order to enhance cross-border connections as part of the Single European Transport Area.